Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Let the racing begin

Road racing season began recently with the Greene County race. It was a 36-miler through the hills of SW Pennsylvania. I, along with many others, hung on to the pack until a tough climb around mile 26. By that time, several riders had dropped off. I joined a group of two for the remaining 10 miles. Finished in the middle of the pack - not really what I was hoping for, but it was my first race of the season. Then I rode the Steel City Showdown. It's a criterium that races over two of the main Pittsburgh city bridges. Great cycling atmosphere and always some strong competition from the surrounding states. A pack of 10 of us managed to race for 30 minutes. But we were pulled after the lead pack managed to pull ahead of us leaving us out of contention. I was hoping to race for 40 of the 50 minutes, so still managed to hold my own for a good portion of the race. Upcoming races include road races at the oval and some mountain biking races in June.

No comments: